Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – OUR VALUES
TOPIC – NATIONAL VALUES
1. Meaning of National Values
2. Level of Manifestation of Values
3. Importance of Values
4. Factors That Promotes Good Value System
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain what is meant by values.
2. mention some of values in the society e.g co-operation self-reliance, tolerance.
3. describe the level of manifestations of values.
4. identify societal factors that promote good values.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Introductory texts on values and values systems.
2. Books on African proverbs and folk tales.
3. Moral instructional books.
4. Posters and Cartoons.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information – Life Personal and Tips influencer
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF VALUES
Values are the principles or standards of behaviour that help you to decide what is right and wrong, and how to act and behave in various situations.
Values influence and determine what we like and dislike, believe, hold to and stand for.
LEVELS OF MANIFESTATION OF VALUES
Individual values reflect how you show up in your life and your specific needs-the principles you live by and what you consider important for your self-interest.
Societal values are the norms, beliefs, and principles which society has tested and approved and expects from its members. That’s, values reflect how you or your organisation relates to society.
IMPORTANCE OF VALUES IN THE SOCIETY
1. Values help us to grow and develop.
2. Values help us to create the future we want to experience.
3. Values provide tools for self-realization.
4. Values make society and people work better.
5. Values bring desire change in human behavior.
6. Values give personal satisfaction.
7. Values guide our conduct, judgement, choices and our relationship with other people.
8. Values guide in decision making.
9. It enhances and improve self-esteem and feelings in the society.
FACTORS THAT PROMOTE VALUE SYSTEM
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Leads the students to find out meaning of values.
Student’s Activities – Find out the meaning of values.
3. Uses case studies and contrived situations to guide students to analyze the importance and manifestations of values in the individual and the society.
Student’s Activities – Participate in class discussion.
4. Guides students to identify factors that promote good value system.
Student’s Activities – Compile a list of wise sayings in the community that teach values. Ask and answer questions.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of values.
2. mention two importance of values in the society.
3. explain the manifestation of values.
4. list three factors that promote good values.