Last Updated on August 29, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
TOPIC: TEACHING OF NEW AND DIFFICULT WORDS
1. Introductory Activities
2. New Words/Difficult Words
3. Making Sentences with New/Difficult Word
4. Spelling and Dictation
6. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. pick out new and difficult words from the week comprehension passages.
2. pronounce new and difficult words correctly.
3. write the meaning of new and difficult words in the passages.
4. make a sentence with these words.
5. write down the dictated words.
6. understand the reading comprehension.
7. attempt 70% (and above) of weekly assessment correctly.
The pupils can use dictionary to find the meaning of new words.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of dictionary and chart showing difficult words.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
MacMillan Brilliant Primary English school book 6
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – NEW AND DIFFICULT WORDS
WORD BANK – Carefully selected new and difficult words from the week comprehension passages.
PRONUNCIATION OF NEW AND DIFFICULT WORDS
MEANING OF NEW AND DIFFICULT WORDS
LESSON 2 – MAKING SENTENCES WITH THE NEW WORDS AND DIFFICULT WORDS
LESSON 3 – SPELLING AND DICTATION
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to pick out new words from the passage.
Pupil’s Activities – Scan the meaning of the new words.
3. Write them on the board and ask the pupils to find the meaning of each word in the dictionary.
Pupil’s Activities – Find the meaning of each word in the dictionary.
4. Supports to make sentences with the new and difficult words.
Pupil’s Activities – Make a sentence each with the new and difficult words.
5. Organize pronunciation and spelling competition (whole and group spelling) with the new and difficult words.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the individual or group competitions.
6. Summary the lesson with dictation.
Pupil’s Activities – Take part in the dictation.
7. Prepare weekly assessment (test) questions.
Pupil’s Activities – Attempt 70% (and above) of weekly assessment correctly.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Take time to preview the next lesson, identify new and difficult words and give pupils as assignment.
Ask pupils to:
1. Pronounce and spell new and difficult words correctly.
2. Find the meaning of new and difficulty words.
3. Make sentences with new and difficult words.
4. Write dictated words correctly.