Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: Basic Science and Technology
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
- state brief history of karate in Nigeria;
- mention the importance of karate;
- list the basic rules of the game;
- practice karate.
The pupils are required to already have learned martial arts and wrestling.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Video clips
- Charts, gong
- Stop watches
- Textbook, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information – Cambridge Dictionary, The History of Fighting, Wikipedia
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Karate is a sport, originally from Japan, in which people fight using their arms, legs, hands, and feet. The level of skill a person has is shown by what colour belt they wear.
HISTORY OF KARATE
In its current form, karate is less than 200 years old however it has roots that date back thousands of years. The art originated on the island of Okinawa and in its early form was heavily influenced by ancient Chinese martial arts, collectively known as kung fu.
THE BEGINNINGS OF KARATE HISTORY ON OKINAWA
The history of Okinawan Karate can be traced back to the late 17th century when a ban on weapons was imposed by the samurai rulers of Japan. The exact evolution of karate history is lost due to the lack of information being written down which is unsurprising when taking into account the strict rules against subjects of the island learning martial arts.
KARATE FEDERATION OF NIGERIA
Karate Federation of Nigeria is a member of the African umbrella organization Union of African Karate Federation (UAKF) as well as the World Association for World Karate Federation (WKF).
On the part of the Nigeria Olympic Committee, the Karate Federation of Nigeria is the only Karate Association authorized to send athletes to the Olympic Games.
IMPORTANCE OF KARATE
- Becoming active, fit and healthy
- Gaining self-respect and confidence
- Learn to offend and defend
- Discipline, behavior and respect
- Focus, responsibility Coordination and teamwork
- Something Different
RULES AND REGULATION OF KARATE
Self – Discipline – Doing the things you know you should do, when you should do them, without being told.
Respect – Treating others the way you want to be treated.
Self – Control – Controlling your behavior to fit the situation you are in.
Here are some of the key techniques that you can expect to learn as you progress through your karate training. Although some moves may appear slightly rough-and-ready, it’s important you keep in mind that competition karate is played out in safe and (hopefully!) pain-free conditions:
Front kicking (mae-geri)
Upper blocks (jodan uke)
Knee strikes (hiza-geri)
Elbow strikes (hiji ate)
Palm-heel strikes (shotei uchi)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Narrates the history of karate;
- Explain the importance of karate;
- Pupil’s Activities – listen to the teacher’s explanation.
- Demonstrates the karate skills;
- Pupil’s activities – practice the skills in karate.
- Supervise the pupils.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson (taekwondo).
- Next Lesson – Basic Swimming Skills
- Pupils to state brief history of the game;
- state the importance of karate;
- perform the skills involved correctly.