Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
TOPIC: THE CONCEPT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Local Government is a body of people who control public affairs of the local governments.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to should be able to:
1. explain the concept of local government.
2. explain the importance of local government.
3. find out and write the names of their local government.
The pupils are required to already have learned rights of a citizen.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts of local government activities.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Local Government is a body of people who control public affairs of the local communities.
IMPORTANCE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The importance of local government to the people include –
1. It helps bring the government closer to the people.
2. It provides social amenities for members of the community. These amenities include markets, schools, clinics, wards, etc.
3. It makes rules and regulations to guide activities in its communities.
4. It makes sure that there are good sanitary conditions in all its communities.
5. It helps to maintain peace and order in the area through the police and customary courts.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning of local government.
Pupil’s Activities – explains the meaning of local government.
3. Guides pupils to identify the name of the local governments of their community.
Pupil’s Activities – State the importance of local government.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of local government.
2. mention 3 importance of local government.