Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PREVIOUS LESSON – First Term Examination Links For Primary Schools
TOPIC: MEANING AND IMPORTANCE OF KITCHEN HYGIENE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. explain the meaning of kitchen hygiene.
2. importance of kitchen hygiene.
3. mention five items used in cleaning a kitchen.
The pupils are required to already know cleanliness.
Link – First Term Examination home economics
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
2. Floor cloth
3. Mop bucket
6. Scrubbing brush
7. Long and short broom
8. Dust pan
9. Trash bin
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Kitchen is a functional room in the house where food are stored, prepared and served.
Kitchen hygiene is the cleanliness and safety in the kitchen.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR KITCHEN HYGIENE
5. Head – tie
7. Floor cloth
8. Mop bucket
11. Scrubbing brush
12. Long and short broom
13. Dust pan
14. Trash bin
IMPORTANCE OF KITCHEN HYGIENE
1. To make work easy and enjoyable.
2. To prevent accidents in the kitchen.
3. To prevent the floor from slippery.
4. To prevent pests, germs, insects and diseases.
5. To prevent bad odour.
6. To keep the kitchen tidy.
7. To prevent fatigue.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides the pupils in discussing kitchen hygiene.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion.
3. Demonstrates processes of cleaning the kitchen.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in cleaning a kitchen.
5. Guides pupils to list materials needed for cleaning the kitchen.
Pupil’s Activities – List materials needed for cleaning the cleaning.
6. Discusses reasons for cleaning in the kitchen.
Pupil’s Activities – State the reasons for cleaning in the kitchen.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – ways of maintaining kitchen hygiene.
Pupils to answer all the questions.
1. ________________ is a functional room in the house where food are stored, prepared and served.
2. Kitchen hygiene is the ________________ and ________________ in the kitchen.
3. ________________ is the cleanliness and safety in the kitchen.
(a) kitchen hygiene
(b) kitchen safety
(c) kitchen arrangement
4. ________________ is one of the important of kitchen hygiene.
(a) To avoid accidents in the kitchen.
(b) To make work easy and tedious.
5. What is kitchen hygiene?
(a) cleanliness and serving in the kitchen
(b) cleanliness and safety in the kitchen
(c) cleanliness and arrangement in the kitchen