Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: READING AND WRITING
TOPIC: Writing Abbreviated Forms of Letter – Telegram
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to send a telegram that is economical and yet contains the essential the message desired.
The pupils are required to already Responding to formal invitations.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of sample of telegrams, rate charged for sending telegram.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
A telegram is a very short message (straight to the point) sent by telegraph in written form. It is very fast but expensive because very words in the message are charged.
In sending telegram, the aim of the sender is to save time and cost, and yet say all that to be say.
- Wishing you many Happy Returns, long life and prosperity and all that your heart desire. Happy Birthday.
- The family of ____________, invite you to their child’s naming ceremony on November 1st, 20__, at 6, Hammed Bello Close.
- I would like to congratulate you for getting married. May this new beginning bring lots of love, luck and joy in your life! Congratulations. God Bless You!!
Note – It is very fast but expensive because very words in the message are charged.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Discusses with the pupils the need for a telegram, urgent message, because of cost, economy in the use of words is needed.
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss with teacher the subject of telegrams. See the sample telegram provided, write messages to be sent by telegram under teacher’s guidance. Send a telex.
- Supervises pupil’s activities.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson
Pupils to contribute to class discussion.