Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: SOCIAL AND HEALTH ISSUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – SOME SUBSTANCE ABUSE, THEIR HEALTH AND SOCIO – ECONOMIC EFFECTS (Primary 4)
TOPIC – CHARACTERISTICS OF ABUSERS
Characteristics of Drug Abusers
Note – Treatment and Rehabilitation is week 9
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
list some characteristics of abusers of alcohol, tobacco and cannabis.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Posters on street names of commonly abused drugs.
Cases/stories on the characteristics of different kinds of abusers.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Social Studies Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
When people take drugs, their behaviour becomes abnormal.
Those who abuse alcohol has some common characteristics.
Those who abuse tobacco has some common characteristics. And those who abuse cannabis has some common characteristics.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ABUSERS
1. Aggressiveness – convulsion.
2. Slowed speech – hallucination.
3. Shaking of the hands – inability to maintain balance.
2. Discoloration of lips
3. Burnt/dark fingers
4. Colored teeth
5. Incessant coughing from lung congestion
6. Lack of appetite, etc.
1. Undue excitement.
2. False source of confidence and pleasure, etc.
LESSON TWO – REVISION AND WEEK 8 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Organizes guided class discussions on characteristics of alcoholics, tobacco addicts and addicted users of cannabis. Discuss what signs to watch out for early reporting.
Pupil’s Activities – State the Characteristics of alcoholics, tobacco addicts and addicted users of cannabis.
3. Invites a resource person to give talk on the subject matter.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the talk and ask questions after the talk.
4. Questions and answers;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen, ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- list three characteristics of abusers of –