Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – THE COMING OF CHRISTIANITY IN NIGERIA II
TOPIC – The Biographies of Nigerian Christian Leaders I
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to list the biographies of Nigerian Christian leaders in this format –
- Name of Christian leaders.
- Place and date of birth.
- Occupation or career.
- Outstanding contributions to the church and the community.
- Special virtues
- If death, place date of death.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing name of Nigerian Christian leaders.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Nigerian Christian leaders established their own churches in order to worship, pray and praise God in their own way and language. Some of the them are –
- Garrick Soraki Braide
- Joseph Ayo Babalola
- S. B. J. Oshoffa
THE BIOGRAPHIES OF NIGERIAN CHRISTIAN LEADERS
GARRICK SORAKI BRAIDE
- Place and date of birth – Niger State (Obnonoma)/1882
- Education – No formal education
- Occupation or career – Peacher
- Outstanding contributions to the church and the community – Organized crusades and many become Christians. He destroyed all idols he found with his followers.
- Special virtues – Gift of healing
- If death, place and date of death – November, 1918.
JOSEPH AYO BABALOLA
- Place and date of birth – Kwara State (Odo Owa)/April 25th, 1904
- Education – Primary School
- Occupation or career – Driver of a Steamroller/Peacher
- Outstanding contributions to the church and the community – Organized revivals and helped people to come closer to God and leads upright lives.
- Special virtues – Preaching, Prayer and Holy Water
- If death, place and date of death – July 26th, 1959/Osun State (Ede)
S. B. J. OSHOFFA
- Place and date of birth – May 18th,1909/Benin Republic (Dahomey)
- Education – Primary School
- Occupation or career – Carpenter/Preacher
- Outstanding contributions to the church and the community – He and his members prayed and fasted often.
- Special virtues – Gift of healing.
- If death, place and date of death. 10th September 1985/Lagos
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Discuss biographies of Nigerian Christian Leaders follow this format Name of Christian leaders, Place and date of birth, Education, Occupation or career, Outstanding contributions to the church and the community, Special virtues, If death, place date of death.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the biographies of Nigerian Christian Leaders.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Assignment – Find out 3 Nigerian Christian Leaders.
- Next Lesson – The biographies of Nigerian Christian leaders (cont).
Pupils to give a biographies of 3 Christian leaders in Nigeria.