Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS KNOWLEDGE
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – THE COMING CHRISTIANITY TO NIGERIA I
TOPIC: The Coming of Christianity to Nigeria II
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
- Discuss the spread of Christianity from the coast to the hinterland.
- Mention 5 major indigenous churches.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart f list of indigenous churches in Nigeria.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
COAST AND HINTERLAND
Coast is a part of a country that is close to the sea. Hinterland is part of a country far from the sea.
THE SPREAD OF CHRISTIANITY FROM THE COAST TO THE HINTERLAND
From the coast, the Christian missionaries spread the gospel to many part of Nigeria. The gospel is preached to many Nigerians who are living in the hinterland, far from the coast.
These missionaries suffered and died because of bad weather and diseases. Some of them suffer persecution, but the rest never give up.
Among these are European and African missionaries such as –
- Samuel Ajayi Crowther, African missionaries. Other are European missionaries.
- Hope waddle
- Mary Slessor
- Henry Townsend
- Father Joseph Lutz, etc.
MAJOR INDIGENOUS CHURCHES
After the coming of European and African missionaries established churches in Nigeria, some Nigerian Christians established their own churches in order to worship, pray and praise God in their own way and language.
- Christ Army Church
- Cherubim and Seraphim Church
- Evangelical Church of West Africa (ECWA)
- Celestial Church of Church
- Christ Apostolic Church
- Redeemed Christian Church of God
- Deeper Life Bible Church
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the meaning of coast and hinterland.
- Pupil’s Activities – Different between coast and hinterland.
- Discusses the spread of Christianity from coast to hinterland.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion.
- Lists major indigenous churches in Nigeria.
- Pupil’s Activities – State major indigenous churches in Nigeria.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – The biography of Nigerian Christian leaders.
- Assignment – Find out 10 indigenous churches and their founders in your locality.
Pupils to –
- discuss the spread of Christianity from the coast of the hinterland.
- List and discuss major indigenous churches in Nigeria.