Last Updated on July 19, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning and Components of Computer System (Primary 5)
TOPIC: COMPONENTS OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
1. Review of Meaning and Components of Computer
2. Hardware and Software
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. Explain the term, ‘computer system’.
2. Mention the component of computer system.
3. Explain the meaning of hardware and software.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
functional computer system.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
computer as an electronic machine that accepts data as input, processes the data and gives out information.
COMPONENT OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
There are three major components of a computer system –
These are components of computer system that can be touched by the human hand. Examples include:
4. system unit
8. Card reader
9. Flash drive
These are written programs, instructions or protocol that control and make computer function. Software can not be touch but can only be seen on the monitor.
There are two types of computer software, application software and system software.
1. Application software performs certain task depending on the program.
2. System software run the whole system.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Asks the pupils if there is any parts of computer that can not see and touch.
Pupil’s Activities – Expected response – Yes/No.
3. Remind the pupils that parts of computer that can be see and touch is called hardware and other other parts that cannot be touched but seen on the monitor is called software.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
1. __________________________ is the component of computer system that can be touch and see.
2. __________________________ is the component of computer system that cannot be touched but seen on the computer monitor.
3. Differential between hardware and software.
4. Mention 5 components of Computer hardware.
5. Mention 2 types of computer software.