Last Updated on December 26, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LIVING AND NON LIVING THINGS
PREVIOUS LESSON – FIRST TERM REVISION
TOPIC – SOIL CONSTITUENTS
1. Meaning of Soil and Soil Constituents
2. Identification of Soil Constituents
3. Demonstrating the existence of Soil Constituents
4. Weekly Assessment
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain soil and soil constituents.
2. identify and name some soil constituents.
3. demonstrate the existence of soil constituents.
The uses of soil.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Samples of soil
2. Hand towel
3. Sheets of paper
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Copy as I write or draw as I need. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Teacher’s Activities – Take the pupils for walk within or around the school premise to take soil sample from different locations.
Ask the them, what can you see inside the soil.
Pupil’s activities and response – Take a walk with the teachers and follow his/her instructions for get soil sample and state different contents of the soil.
Teacher’s remark – CORRECT. All the contents inside the soil are called SOIL CONSTITUENTS. Give a great cheer for active participation. Discuss soil and its constituents.
Copy as I write.
MEANING OF SOIL
Soil is the top layer of the earth’s surface.
Soil constituents are the living and non – living things inside the soil.
For examples –
2. Leaf litters
5. Dead animals
6. Living animals
8. Soil particles – sand, loam and clay.
LESSON 2 – EXISTENCE OF SOIL CONSTITUENTS
Teacher’s Activities – Guide the pupils to provide the existence of soil soil constituents.
Materials needed for demonstrating the existence of soil constituents are filter (to separate the soil from other soil materials), water (to separate the soil from other soil materials. This allows the soil to settle down with other soil materials float) and heat (to make all living organisms come out from the soil).
Pupil’s activities and response – Follow the teacher’s instructions and discuss the existence of soil soil constituents.
Teacher’s remark – Listen and participate in the discussion and give a cheer for active participation.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
As state in the performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
Other Materials – Meaning of Soil | Meaning of Soil Constituents | Existence of Soil Constituents Primary 4 (Basic 4) ASEI PDSI METHOD
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Take pupils on field to collect soil samples.
Pupil’s Activities – Collect soil from different places and identify the constituents of the soil samples.
3. Asks pupils to collect soil samples from the school garden and guides them to handpick visible soil constituents.
Pupil’s Activities – Bring samples of garden soil to class and hand pick visible soil constituents like leaf litters, small, rocks, dead and living organisms, etc.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Next Lesson – Growing of Plants, Garden Tools and Conditions for Growing of Crops Primary 4 (Basic 4)
Pupils to –
1. explain what soil is.
2. describe the soil constituents.
3. give 5 (5) examples of soil constituents.
4. discuss the used of filter, water and heat to prove the existence of soil constituents.
ATTEMPT ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. __________________ is the top layer of the earth’s surface.
2. Soil constituents are the __________________ inside the soil.
A. plants and animals
B. animal and plants
C. Living and non living things
3. __________________ are the living and non – living things inside the soil.
A. Water Constituents
B. Soil Constituents
C. Rock Constituents
4. __________________ is used to separate soil from other soil materials.
5. __________________ make soil to settle down while other materials float.
6. __________________ force out the living organisms out of the soil.
State 2 soil constituents.
Mention 3 materials used for proving the existence of soil constituents.