Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – CLOTHING AND TEXTILES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Clothing Construction Process II – Run and Fell Seam and French Seam (Primary 4)
TOPIC – USES OF SEAM
1. Uses of Plain and Open Seam
2. Uses of Run and Fell Seam
3. Uses of French Seam
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state uses of seam.
2. produce an album showing stages of making seams.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Different garments showing different seams.
2. Charts showing stages of seam making.
3. Albums showing samples of stages of seam making.
4. Brown paper, coloured threads, scissors, needles, pins, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF SEAM
Seam is a line where pieces of fabric and other materials are sewn together in a. garment. A garment is an item of clothing.
For example, sewing shoulders, sides, sleeves, waistline, collac, etc. together.
USE OF SEAM
Plain and Open Seam
1. It is good for joining materials which are meant to show as little as possible e.g. joining underarm, sleeve, seam on clothing of all kinds.
Run and Fell Seam
2. It is good for clothing needing handwear and frequent washing e.g. shirt, jeans, night wear, overall and short.
3. It is good for underwear and fine blouses, children wear.
4. It is good for dresses, blouses and overalls requiring frequent washing.
LESSON TWO – PRODUCE NEEDLE WORK BAG FOR DISPLAY
REVISION AND WEEK LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or produce by the pupils.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Exhibits different types of seam.
Pupil’s Activities – Examine seams exhibited by the teacher.
3. Discusses uses of seams.
4. Asks pupils make a bags.
Pupil’s Activities – Make a bag.
5. Gives a board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state three uses of seams.
4. produce an album showing the steps of plain seam, run and fell seams, french seam.
5. produce needle work bag for display.