Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – The Senses I – The Eyes, The Ears and The Nose (Primary 2)
TOPIC – THE SENSES
1. The Tongue
2. The Hands
3. The Road Users
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. detect taste of sweet, sour, salty and bitter food items.
2. identify objects by touching and feeling.
3. describe how correct ways of using the road by each of the users.
The 5 Senses
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Fruits – banana, oranges, mango, etc.
2. Flower, shoes, dirty socks, etc.
3. Sugar, honey, salt, bitter leaf/kola
4. Tissue paper
5. Rough and smooth cardboard.
6. Cold/hot, warm water.
7. Video and charts on road usage.
8. Pictures of different types of roads.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
There are five senses sight, smell, taste, hearing, and touch.
The body parts that help us to understand what’s happening around us are the eyes for seeing, the nose for smelling, the tongue for tasting, the ears for hearing, and the skin for touching.
TASTE WITH TONGUE
IDENTIFICATION OF TASTE OF VARIOUS FOOD ITEMS THAT ARE SWEET, SOUR, SALTY AND BITTER
Guide pupils to detecting various food items that are sweet, sour, salty and bitter.
TOUCHING WITH FINGERS
Guides pupils to detecting various objects by touch, feeling its shape, texture, pressure and temperature.
IDENTIFICATION OF ROAD AND ITS USERS
Road users are children, cars, bicycles, animals, etc.
LESSON TWO – REVISION AND WEEK LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Assists to detect distinctive taste of sweet, sour, salty and bitter tastes.
3. Provides sweet, sour, salty and bitter items to pupils.
Pupil’s Activities – Taste sweet, sour, salty and bitter items.
4. Assist pupils to distinguish between pleasant and unpleasant smell.
Pupil’s Activities – Describe pleasant and unpleasant smell.
5. Provides items of different textures, shapes, temperature and pressure.
Pupil’s Activities – Touch cold and warm objects or water.
6. Assists pupils to identify road and how to use the roads correctly by each user.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify road users and describe correct ways of using the roads.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Revision and Examination
1. state the taste of different substances.
2. distinguish between rough and coarse objects, cold and hot, etc.
3. name three road users.
4. describe various ways of using the road.