Last Updated on July 21, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – ROAD SIGNS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Qualities of Community Leaders (Primary 2)
TOPIC – TRAFFIC LIGHTS
1. Meaning of Traffic Lights
2. Types of Traffic Lights
3. Importance of Traffic Lights
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
state the function of each road traffic light signs.
Red, blue, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Road traffic lights sign are lights used to control the movement of traffic.
They are placed on roads.
The different colors of lights tell drivers what to do.
IDENTIFICATION OF ROAD TRAFFIC LIGHTS SIGN AND COLOUR
FUNCTIONS OF ROAD TRAFFIC LIGHTS COLOUR
Red means STOP
This tells drivers to stop.
Yellow means READY TO GO
This tells drivers to stop when it is safe to, because the light is about to turn red.
Green means GO
This means the driver can start driving or keep driving.
IMPORTANCE OF TRAFFIC LIGHTS AND ROAD SIGNS
1. The traffic lights control movements.
2. The traffic lights conduct orderly flow of movement.
3. The traffic lights reduce road accidents.
4. The traffic lights make the road safer for the users.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Takes pupils to observe various road traffic signs to know their functions – Red – Stop, Yellow – Ready, Green – Go.
Pupil’s Activities – Pupils observe the road traffic signs to know each of its functions.
3. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Matches the colours of road traffic light with the functions.
4. States the importance of traffic lights.
Pupil’s Activities – State the importance of traffic lights.
5. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical demonstration of stop, ready to go and go with the appropriate colors.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
State the functions of each of the following road traffic signs:
Mention 2 importance of traffic lights.