Last Updated on November 11, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – FOOD AND NUTRITION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Different Types of Foodstuff in the Locality (Primary 3)
TOPIC – FOODSTUFF IN THE LOCALITY
1. Introductory Activities
2. Functions of Each Foodstuff
3. Ways of Using Each Foodstuff in Food
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify different foodstuffs in the locality.
2. state the function of each food in the body.
3. explain the ways of using each foodstuff.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Chart on different food stuffs.
2. Raw food stuffs e.g. yam, rice, orange, mango, carrot, millet, maize, meat, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to state different kinds of foodstuffs in their locality.
FOODSTUFFS IN OUR LOCALITY
8. Irish potatoes
9. Meat, eggs, fish, crayfish, snails, etc.
FUNCTIONS OF DIFFERENT FOOD NUTRIENTS IN THE BODY
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks pupils to identify and discuss the functions of each foodstuff mentioned above –
3. Fats and oils
- To fight against diseases.
6. Water –
- To regulate the body system.
WAYS OF USING THE FOODSTUFF IN FOOD PREPARATION
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss how to prepare some foodstuffs.
4. Semolina, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Compiles a list of food named.
Pupil’s Activities – Bring food stuffs within their locality to class.
3. Discusses the functions of food nutrients e.g. protein for growth, carbohydrates for energy, fruits and vegetables for protection and repair of tissues.
4. Puts down some board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Contribute to discussions on functions of food, ways of using foodstuffs.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Revision and First Term Examination
1. name 10 local food stuff.
2. state one way of using any food stuff.
3. mention one function of any named food stuff.