Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – CARE OF THE MOUTH AND TOOTH
1. Parts of the Mouth
2. Materials used for Mouth Cleaning
3. Dangers of not caring for the Mouth
4. Dangers of sharing toothbrush or chewing sticks
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. mention the parts of the mouth.
2. list the materials used for cleaning the mouth.
3. state the dangers of not caring for the mouth.
4. mention the dangers of using other people’s toothbrush or chewing sticks.
Toothbrush, toothpaste and chewing sticks
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Toothbrushes, tooth paste, charcoal, salt, chewing sticks, cotton wool and tooth polishing powder.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays sample of toothbrush and toothpaste for pupils to identify and state their uses.
Teacher’s Activities – Listen to the pupils and note their points on the board. Also, asks them to touch their mouth, teeth and tongue and say –
PARTS OF THE MOUTH
MODERN MOUTH CLEANING MATERIALS
TRADITIONAL MOUTH CLEANING MATERIALS
1. Chewing sticks
4. Cotton wool or foam
5. Native polishing powder
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical Demonstration on the use of modern and traditional cleaning articles.
DANGERS OF NOT CARING FOR THE MOUTH
1. Mouth odour
2. Teeth decay
3. Mouth diseases
4. Teeth weakness
DANGERS OF SHARING TOOTHBRUSH OR CHEWING STICKS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the dangers of sharing teeth cleaning materials.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Assembles articles for mouth cleaning.
Pupil’s Activities – Bring mouth and teeth cleaning materials to the class.
3. Demonstrates the correct way of cleaning the mouth and paying attention to the tongue.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the correct way of cleaning the mouth and paying attention to the tongue.
4. Demonstrates the use of traditional cleaning articles.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the use of traditional teeth cleaning materials. Clean their teeth with chewing stick.
5. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the dangers of sharing teeth cleaning materials.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. mention three ways they keep the mouth clean.
2. name two traditional materials for keeping the mouth clean.
3. practice mouth cleaning in class and rinse with water to keep the mouth clean.