Last Updated on October 3, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS AND CONCEPTS
TOPIC – BASIC COMPUTER CONCEPTS
1. introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Computer
3. Computer as Input – Process – Output (IPO)
4. Parts of Computer System
5. Examples of Input – Process – Output Devices
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define a computer.
2. describe a computer as input – process – output (IPO).
3. describe the parts of a computer system.
4. mention the examples of:
- Components of a system unit
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. A computer system
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s Activities – Displays a functional computer system for the students to identify the computer and each of its parts.
DEFINITION OF A COMPUTER
Computer can be defined as an electronic machine that accepts data as input,processes the data and gives out information.
The highlight words present IPO.
DESCRIPTION OF A COMPUTER AS INPUT – PROCESS – OUTPUT (IPO) SYSTEM
IPO stands Input, Process and Output.
IPO means input data into the system, doing something with the data and then displaying the results.
PARTS OF A COMPUTER SYSTEM
1. System unit
2. Monitor (VDU)
Input devices can be defined as devices used for sending information or data into a computer for processing.
Examples of input devices are as follows:
4. Light pen
Output devices can be defined as devices used for receiving information or data that is processed by and sent out from a computer or other electronic device.
Examples of output devices are as follows:
1. Monitor (VDU)
3. Speakers, etc.
Processing unit can be defined as devices that processed data inside the computer.
Process data input through system unit and memory unit.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Leads students to define a computer.
Student’s Activities –
- Participates in the class discussion.
- listen to teacher’s explanations, ask and answer questions.
3. Illustrates the computer as an IPO system.
4. Describes parts of a computer system.
5. Guides students to identify and examine the parts of a computer system.
Student’s Activities – identify the parts of a computer.
6. Describes the functions of:
6. Writes note on the board.
Student’s Activities – copy the board summary.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Next Lesson –
1. define a computer.
2. draw a simple IPO system (illustration for a computer).
3. identify the different parts of a computer system.
4. give two example of each of the following devices:
A. Input devices
B. Output devices
C. Memory unit.