Consonant Digraphs – ck ph sh ch Kindergarten (Age 5) – Letter Work
THEME – BLENDED LEARNING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Initial and Final Consonant Blends – tr tw sw st Kindergarten (Age 5) – Letter Work
TOPIC – CONSONANT DIGRAPHS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Blend c and k, p and h, s and h, c and h Digraphs
3. Words with ck ph sh ch Digraphs
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. blend c and k, p and h, s and h, c and h digraphs.
2. identify and sort c and k, p and h, s and h, c and h digraph words.
The children can blend initial and final consonant.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Real objects
2. Flash card
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
PRE LESSON ACTIVITIES – MEANING OF CONSONANT DIGRAPHS
Consonant digraphs are two (2) consonant letters that make a single sound when blended together.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Introduce and guide the children to blend consonant digraphs – c and k, p and h, s and h, c and h to produce one sound.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the sound and pronounce.
Teacher’s remark – Comment and note the words that make consonant digraphs on the board. Use real objects or chart showing letter blend words for illustration.
c and k ⇒ ck
p and h ⇒ ph
s and h ⇒ sh
c and h ⇒ ch
CONSONANT DIGRAPHS CK AND PH
Words with CK,
clock black rock chain stick
Words with PH,
phone photo trophy graph elephant
LESSON 2 – CONSONANT DIGRAPHS
Words with SH,
ship fish shark shell shop
Words with CH,
chalk chick chair watch chain
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Introduces children to consonant digraphs such as c and k, s and h, p and h, c and h.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s sound and pronounce.
3. Guides children to read several examples of letter blend words.
Pupil’s Activities – Read several examples of letter blend words.
4. Creates rhymes or songs on letter blends and words.
Pupil’s Activities – Active participation in rhymes or songs on letter blends and words.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Consonant Digraphs – th wh wr mb Kindergarten (Age 5) – Letter Work
Ask pupils to:
1. blend letters – c and k, s and h, p and h, c and h.
2. identify and sort words with consonant digraphs.