Consonant Trigraphs – scr shr sch thr str tch Kindergarten (Age 5) – Letter Work
THEME – BLENDED LEARNING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Consonant Digraphs – th wh wr mb Kindergarten (Age 5) – Letter Work
TOPIC – CONSONANT TRIGRAPHS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Blend Consonant Digraphs – S C R, S H R, S C H, T H R, S T R and T C H
3. Words with scr shr sch thr str tch Digraphs.
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. blend three (3) letter of consonant digraphs.
2. identify and sort words with scr shr sch thr str tch digraph.
The children can blend two (2) letters of consonant digraphs.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Real objects
2. Flash card
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
PRE LESSON ACTIVITIES – MEANING OF CONSONANT TRIGRAPHS
Consonant trigraphs are two (3) consonant letters that make a single sound when blended together.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Introduce and guide the children to blend consonant trigraphs – s c r, s h r, s c h, t h r, s t r and t c h to produce one sound.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the sound and pronounce.
Teacher’s remark – Comment and note the words that make consonant digraphs on the board. Use real objects or chart showing letter blend words for illustration.
s c r ⇒ scr
s h r ⇒ shr
s c h ⇒ sch
t h r ⇒ thr
s t r ⇒ str
t c h ⇒ tch
CONSONANT TRIGRAPHS SCR AND SCH
Words with SCR,
screw scrub scribble script street
Words with SHR,
shrimp shrine shrink shroud shrew
Words with SCH,
school scholar scheme schedule scholarship
LESSON 2 – CONSONANT TRIGRAPHS
Words with THR,
throat thread throne thrice throw
Words with STR,
straw street strong stray strawberry
Words with TCH,
match watch catch batch switch
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Introduces children to consonant trigraph such as s c r, s h r, s c h, t h r, s t r and t c h.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s sound and pronounce.
3. Guides children to read several examples of letter blend words.
Pupil’s Activities – Read several examples of letter blend words.
4. Creates rhymes or songs on letter blends and words.
Pupil’s Activities – Active participation in rhymes or songs on letter blends and words.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Revision and Exam Questions – First Term, Second Term and Third Term Examination Links For Kindergarten (Age 5) – All the Subjects
Ask pupils to:
1. blend letters – s c r, s h r, s c h, t h r, s t r and t c h.
2. identify and sort words with scr shr sch thr str tch digraphs.