THEME: FOOD AND NUTRITION
TOPIC: Cooking and Serving Traditional Dishes and Drinks
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- state the method of cooking the special dishes;
- prepare and serve traditional dishes/drink for special occasions.
- The pupils are required to already have learned
- major meal of the day I
- meal of the day II
- special dishes and drinks
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts of special dishes and drinks.
METHOD OF TEACHING
- Questions and answers
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials
Related post – food and nutrition, meals of the day I, meals of the day II, classification of food and source of nutrients, menu chart for the day, prepare and serve traditional dishes and drinks for special occasions. scheme of work – first term – second term – third term.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
METHODS OF COOKING TRADITIONAL DISHES
- 10 pieces of cooked beef
- 24 pieces of cooked cow skin – pomo
- 2 large sizes of stock fish head or pieces
- Ugu pumpkin leaves or 2 large bunches
- Water leaves of 1 bunch
- Fresh or dry pepper (2 tablespoons)
- 4 pieces of cooked shaki
- 4 pieces of cooked cowleg
- 1 medium size of dry fish
- 4 tablespoons of ground crayfish
- Seasoning of your choice
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups of water
- In a clean pot, place cooked beef, stockfish head, cooked pomo, pre – cooked cowleg, dry fish, shaki, and washed water leaves and 4 cups of water.
- Cook for 10 minutes or till juice begins to dry up.
- Add the group crayfish and dry pepper, seasoning, salt if necessary and stir up.
- Cover for two minutes
- Add shredded ugu leaves and cover the pot.
- Let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the palm oil.
- Stir well and cook for 2 more minutes uncovered.
- Remove from heat.
- Pounded yam
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Demonstrates cooking of special dishes;
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the different cooking methods.
- Gives every pupils an opportunity for practical group work;
- Pupil’s Activities – Collect traditional and foreign recipes for special occasions and cooking in groups.
- Demonstrates the preparation of traditional drinks at festivals in the locality;
- Pupil’s Activities – Prepare and serve home drinks for special occasion.
- Write short notes on traditional/special dishes;
- Pupil’s Activities – Take notes summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – meal services and entertainment.
- name four special dishes in their locality;
- list the ingredients for preparing a special dishes;
- describe the methods for preparing three traditional drinks.