Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – FIRST AID
PREVIOUS LESSON – FIRST AID – COMMON EMERGENCY CONDITIONS THAT REQUIRE FIRST AID (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: FIRST AID – HANDLING OF EMERGENCY CONDITIONS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to demonstrate how to apply first aid treatment for some conditions.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
4. Video clips
5. First Aid box and its contents
6. Mats, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book – Fitness and Fun Primary 6 Physical and Health Education
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
HANDLING OF EMERGENCY CONDITIONS
Sprain is an injury at the joint.
Signs and symptoms
1. Pain at the joint
1. Rest and support the joint.
2. Apply cold compress.
3. Apply pressure by bandage.
4. Seek medical attention, if severe.
This is when the bone is displaced from its position in the joint as a result of a twist.
Signs and symptoms
1. Severe pain
2. Deformity at the site
3. Swelling around the joint
4. Immobility at the joint
1. Support the affected part.
2. Immobilise (restrict movement).
3. Reassure the patient.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Demonstrates the first aid treatment for condition.
Pupil’s Activities – Demonstrates the first aid treatment for condition.
3. Guides pupils to dramatize how to handle emergency.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the drama.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to demonstrates how to apply first treatment.