Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: READING AND WRITING
TOPIC – Passage on Debate
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Arrange their ideas on a topic in the format of a debate.
2. Trace the development of an argument in a passage.
3. Recognize and use correctly the connectives commonly found in argumentative writing.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Materials from different sources – newspapers, books and poems.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PASSAGES ON DEBATES – TOPICS FOR DEBATES
A farmer is more importance than teacher.
Town life is better than village life.
Boys should wear skirts and if girls wear trousers.
A man can cook better than a woman.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Lets pupils use the keywords and phrases in the passage in their own sentences orally.
Pupil’s Activities – Make up sentences with the words provided by the teacher.
3. Practices with pupils the structural items in the passage.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice structural items introduced by the teacher.
Reads the passage first.
4. Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher read.
Lets pupils take turns reading the passage.
5. Pupil’s Activities – Take turns in reading.
6. Draws their attention to the development of the argument and the part played by connectives.
Pupil’s Activities – Notice the way arguments are developed in the passage.
7. Lets pupils do oral and written comprehension exercises.
Pupil’s Activities – Do oral and written comprehension exercises.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Arrange ideas on a topic logically.
2. Answer questions on the given passage.
3. Make a list of some connective they know.