Last Updated on August 1, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
FIRST TERM EXAMINATION
CLASS – PRIMARY 6 (BASIC 5)
INSTRUCTION: Answer all the questions.
Answer all the questions in this section.
Once upon a time a dog was carrying a piece of meat in his mouth. Although his home was far away, He wanted to keep the meat to eat there. He did not want to share it with anyone.
On his way home, he came to a bridge over a river. As he crossed the bridge over a river, he stopped to look down at the water flowing under the bridge. He was surprised to see another dog with piece of meat in his mouth in the water below. He did not realize that it was only his reflection.
The dog snapped at his reflection hoping to grab the piece of meat he could see. Then l will have two pieces of meat he thought. As he opened his mouth, the piece of meat fell out. lt dropped into the water below and was carried off by the river. And so, the dog had nothing to eat when he got home.
Answer these question about the passage.
1. Where was the dog going?
2. How did he cross the river?
3. What did he see in the water beneath the bridge?
4. What did the dog have to eat when he got home?
5. What lesson do you think this story teaches us?
Fill in the gaps with the correct answers.
1. You better hurry up since you must get there _____________ seven o’ clock.
2. The dog ran _____________ the thief.
3. This is her _____________ room.
4. Nna bought a few _____________ of oranges for the picnic.
5. l saw a _____________ of stars in the sky last night.
6. The bag _____________ was filled with money was mine.
7. Pupils _____________ respect their teachers.
[a] have to
[b] ought to
8. Do not distract the driver _____________ he is driving.
9. He goes to football practice _____________ school.
10. She felt sad _____________ her dog died.
11. You _____________ look, left and right before crossing the road.
12. She walked into the room _____________ as she could.
[a] as quietly
[b] as finely
[c] as openly
13. Alaba works __________ than Adamu.
[a] more carefully
[b] more careful
[c] most careful
14. She _____________ up very early everyday.
[c] wake down
15. My mother ___________ a cake every Sunday.
1. Replace the underlined words with a suitable adverb:
a. The dancers dance with grace: _____________
b. My brothers go to south east Asia once a year: _____________
c. The lady took care of the baby with love: _____________
d. She ran out of the room all of a sudden: _____________
2. Change these active voice to passive voice:
a. The girl washes the clothes; _____________
b. The girl is washing the cloth; _____________
c. They will send her to the clinic; _____________
d. Tolu was sweeping the floor; _____________
3. Choose from the words that is most appropriate in the box for each gaps below:
a. My pet cat gave birth to a _____________ of kitten yesterday.
b. He learnt to hunt from a _______________ of natives who lived in the jungle.
c. A _____________ of people gathered to watch the magic show
d. They jumped into the pool to escape from a _____________ of bees.
4. Complete these sentences using Who, Which or that:
a. The bag _____________ was filled with money was mine.
b. Where is the money _____________ your mother gave you?
c. The man _____________ drove the car was excited.
d. Mrs Okolie _____________ is a new teacher at our school taught us a greeting rhyme.
5. Use have to, ought to or must in the gaps:
a. Pupils _____________ respect their teachers.
b. Do you _____________ walk to school?
c. l _____________ remember to phone my mother.
d. Do you _____________ get to school on time.
6. Change each of these indirect to (reported) speeches to direct speech:
a. The Boy said that he had lost his pen _____________.
b. Kehinde said that birds can fly _____________.
c. Halimah says that she lives in a bungalow _____________.
d. The student said that she was reading _____________.