RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
TOPIC: Types and functions of Government Institutions
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor):
- Explain the meaning of institutions;
- Mention government institutions in Nigeria;
- Explain the meaning of these institutions: NAFDAC, ICPC, EFCC, SON;
- Explain the function of these government institutions.
The pupils are required to already have learned government.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of posters, charts, resource persons, video clips and newspapers.
METHOD OF TEACHING
MAIN REFERENCE MATERIALS
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
TYPES OF GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS IN NIGERIA
NAFDAC means National Agency for Food and Control.
FUNCTIONS OF NAFDAC
- Ensure food and drug safety to deduce the prevalence of fake and substandard drugs and food substance on the market through research, policy formulation and enforcement;
- Promote consumer awareness on the safe use of medicine;
- Collaborate with federal and state ministries of health promotion activities.
ICPC means Independence Corrupt Practice Commission.
FUNCTIONS OF ICPC
- Check corruption especially in public life. Install discipline in public life;
- Enforce due process in all government transactions;
- Check bribery in public life;
- Ensure professional discipline and ethnics.
EFCC means Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
FUNCTIONS OF EFCC
- Detect and prosecute crime;
- Fight corruption;
- Ensure transparency and accountability in public life;
- Prevent economic sabotage.
SON means Standard Organization of Nigeria.
FUNCTIONS OF SON
- Ensure high standard of consumable and non-consumable goods;
- To reduce the prevalence of goods ith poor standard on the markets;
- Collaborate with the federal and state ministries of health in promoting activities.
NDLEA means National Drug Law Enforcement Agency
FUNCTIONS OF NDLEA
- Suppression of demand for illicit drugs and other substances of abuse;
- To recover all ill-gotten wealth, acquired from proceeds of illicit drug trade;
- To protect, enhance and maintain the image of Nigeria and Nigerians both at home and abroad;
- To make arrest where necessary and hand such drug abuser over to the police.
Revision and summary of the lesson.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions.
- Assist the pupils to state the full meaning of government institution;
- Pupil’s Activities – Contribute to discussion and take down notes.
- Guides the pupils to state the functions of government institution;
- Pupil’s Activities – Write the functions summarized into their notes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to mention 4 government institutions in Nigeria; give the full meaning of the following: NAFDAC, SON, EFCC, I CPC, NDLEA; give two functions each.