TOPIC: GUIDED COMPOSITION (MY FAMILY)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. describe the essential characteristics of their family.
2. describe the members of the family, noting their special characters.
The pupils can identify each member of their family.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. A suitable guided composition piece;
2. Composition prepared by the teacher.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
MacMillan Brilliant Primary English school book 6
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Samson is my family’s name. We live in Lagos at No. 9, Estate Road, Igando. There are five members in my family. They are my parents, my younger brothers and myself, living together under the same roof.
The name of my father is Mr. Samson Omotayo. He is a trader. He enjoys reading and listening to music when he is free. My mother’s name is Mrs. Samson Ruth. She is a fashion designer. She looks after the family. Every day she cooks meals for us. She teaches me and my brother at home.
My brother and I are students. I am 12 years old and I am in primary six. My younger brothers, Stephen is eight years old and he is in primary four. Nathaniel is six years old and he is in primary two. We enjoy playing together. We like watching cartoon on cartoon network.
I love my family and my family loves me. I am very proud of my family.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions –
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays chart showing member of a family.
4. Teacher asks pupils to examine, identify and describe as a group or pair.
5. Teacher uses the chart and pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson and prepares a model composition and uses this to guide pupils.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction and write composition on the topic given by the teacher.
6. Teacher summarizes the composition on the board with appropriate lesson lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. describe members of their family noting their special characters;
2. list two special characters of a member of your family.
3. write a composition on my family.