THEME: SPEECH WORK
TOPIC – Giving Formal Speeches
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. speak in public using appropriate registers for different occasion.
2. use the appropriate format in making speeches.
3. express themselves orally.
4. demonstrate good speech habits of clear pronunciation and
5. correct stress and intonations.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Sample of reports.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
GUIDED SPEECH MAKING
Giving format speeches e.g. Head boy’s speech on school’s prize giving day.
1. Appropriate register for the chosen topic.
2. Introducing the chairman and special guest of an occasion.
3. Chairman’s speech.
4. Vote of thanks and proposing toast of the guest of honour.
5. Holding discussions, debates and giving addresses.
6. Voice production.
Ref – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 6
Page 56A and 59D
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discusses with the class so as to establish the shape and vocabulary needed for oral discourse by pupils.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher and participate in the class discussion.
3. Leads the discussion on the chosen topic. Allows the pupils to make their own speech.
Pupil’s Activities – Make their own speeches on the chosen topics – a formal speech with appropriate register.
4. Ensures the use appropriate register.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the appropriate registers for each.
5. Arrange the points made by the pupils on the board.
6. Get some pupils to make an attempt and guides them correctly.
Pupil’s Activities – Write a speech for each occasion and deliver it.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. use the appropriate format in making speeches on different formal occasions.
2. use the appropriate register for the occasions and
3. make verbal speeches with clear pronunciations, correct stress and intonations.