CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – GOD AS A FATHER GUIDES HIS CHILDREN
PREVIOUS LESSON – GOD GAVE HIS LAW TO US
TOPIC – THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- State the Ten Commandments.
- Reasons why God gave the Ten Commandments – Exodus 20:1-17.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Chart of Ten Commandments
- Film on the ten commandments.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Ten Commandments are laws made by God and given to man.
God gave Moses the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai to teach us our duties to God and one another.
Reading – Exodus 20:1-17.
The Ten Commandments are –
- You shall have no other gods before Me.
- You shall make no idols.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Keep the Sabbath day holy.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet.
REASONS WHY GOD GAVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS – Exodus 20:1-17.
The law doesn’t save us. It reminds us of how much we need God’s forgiveness for salvation.
- God gave the Ten Commandments for the personal well-being of His people.
- The law was given to serve as a foundation for the nation of Israel.
- God gave the law to remind the people of their own sinfulness.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the importance of the Law to the Israelites and to our societies.
- Guides pupils to memorize the ten commandments.
- Pupil’s Activities – Memorize the 10 commandment.
- Writes the 10 commandments on the board.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the 10 commandments.
- Arranges a film show on the 10 commandments.
- Pupil’s Activities – Watch film.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Why People have Different Culture
Attempt all the questions
1. Where did Moses receive the Ten Commandments from God?
A. Mount Olives
B. The Dead Sea
C. Mount Sinai
D. Mount of Ararat
2. In what form did God appear to Moses when he delivered the Ten Commandments?
A. A cloud of smoke and fire
B. A burning bush
C. A very bright light
D. A golden calf
3. Complete this sentence from the Ten Commandments: “I am the Lord, your God, _________________.
A. who delivered you from sin.”
B. who created you.”
C. the God of your forefathers.”
D. who brought you out of the land of Egypt.”
4. Complete this sentence from the Ten Commandments: “You shall have _________________.
A. no rest for the weary.”
B. no other gods before me.”
C. manna from Heaven.”
D. a feast in my honor.”
Click to continue question 5 to 10 on The Christian Bible Reference Site