RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUE
PREVIOUS LESSON – STATE GOVERNMENT
TOPIC – STATE GOVERNMENT
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to explain the importance of state government to the people.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Map of Nigeria showing the 36 states and FCT Abuja.
- A diagram of the 3 tiers of government
- Photographs of joint projects between state and local governments.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
State Government is the body of people who control the affairs of many local governments. A state government is much bigger than a local government.
ROLES/IMPORTANCE OF STATE GOVERNMENT
The importance of state government of state government are –
- Construction of road.
- Provision of courts.
- Provision of jobs by establishing/promoting economic activities and industries.
COOPERATION BETWEEN STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS
Joint efforts in –
- Provision of roads.
- Maintaining peace and order in the state.
- Ensure that people in the local government pay their tax.
- Provision of social amenities.
- Making sure that fund allocated are judiciously utilized.
BENEFITS OF COOPERATION
- Good attainment
- Peace and progress
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Leads the pupils to discuss the duties of state government.
- Helps pupils to identify of and mention the importance of state government.
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the duties and importance of local government.
- Assist pupils to mention and appreciate the benefits of cooperation between state and local governments.
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention the importance of cooperation between state and local governments.
- Guides pupils to demonstrate or role – play areas of cooperation between state and local governments.
- Pupil’s Activities – Demonstrate or role – play areas of cooperation between state and local governments.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Explain 3 roles of state government to the people.
- Explain how states and local governments cooperation can be beneficial.