PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: MARTIAL ARTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – IMPORTANCE OF MARTIAL ARTS
TOPIC – WRESTLING
1. Meaning of Wrestling
2. Types of Wrestling
3. History of Wrestling
4. Importance of Wrestling
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. State briefly history of wrestling.
2. Differentiate between traditional and modern wrestling.
3. State the importance of wrestling.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Open space and sandy surface.
5. Video clips, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Fitness and Fun, A Physical and Health Education Course for Primary School 4
All Relevant Material
Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Physical and Health Education Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
Scheme of Work Third Term Physical and Health Education Basic 4
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION (WRESTLING)
Wrestling is a sport in which two people fight and try to throw each other to the ground or hold down on the ground.
HISTORY OF WRESTLING
Wrestling was one of the events during the first ancient Olympic Games in 776 BC held in Athens in Greece. However, countries like Italy, Egypt, China, America and Britain have used wrestling for defence, survival and competition during ceremonies.
In 1860, the Romans developed some rules and regulations guiding wrestling competition. Wrestling continued to become popular, and is well known till now.
TYPES OF WRESTLING
1. Traditional Wrestling
Africans have been doing traditional wrestling as part of ceremonies. Traditional wrestling is different from modern wrestling in the type of dresses or costumes that the wrestlers wear. Various traditional names are given to wrestling, like Mgba in Igbo, Kokawa in Hausa, and Ijakadi in Yoruba.
2. Modern Wrestling
This is organised wrestling with rules and regulations. It is governed by the International Wrestling Federation, which has branches in nearly all countries. There are two types of modern wrestling, namely Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling.
IMPORTANCE OF WRESTLING
1. It builds up the muscles of the body..
2. It develops self confidence.
3. It builds endurance skills.
4..It develops self defence skills.
5. It encourages professionalism.
6. It is a good source of recreation.
7. It helps to make one fit.
8. It is a show of strength.
10. It promotes mental alertness.
11. It helps to exercise the whole body.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Narrates the history of wrestling;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher.
3. Discusses types of wrestling – traditional wrestling and modern wrestling;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussion.
4. Importance of importance wrestling;
Pupil’s Activities – State the importance of wrestling.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Narrate briefly the history of wrestling.
2. Mention types of wrestling.
3. State the importance of wrestling..