CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (SSS 1)
THEME: ARTS AND CRAFTS
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – MOSAICS
2. Meaning/Definition of Mosaics
3. Materials/Tools used in making Mosaics
4. Mosaics Projects
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. state the meaning of mosaics.
2. list materials/tools used in making mosaics.
3. enumerate uses of mosaics.
4. make a mosaic project e.g wall hanging.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Broken bottles
2. Broken china ware
3. Bottle tops
4. Beads, Sequins
5. Pen, Catridge, Paper plier, Knives, Paint, Brushes, Scissors, Old newspaper, Glue, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum for SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF MOSAICS
Mosaic is the art of putting together small pieces of materials (stone, tile, glass, etc.) to produce artwork.
These artworks are used for decoration on walls, cardboard, plywood or floor.
MATERIALS/TOOLS FOR MAKING MOSAICS
2. Pieces of glass (coloured)
3. Cardboard (assorted colours)
4. Glue or Evostic
7. Beads or buttons
11. Old calendars
USES OF MOSAIC
2. Flower vases
3. Greeting cards
4. Wall hanging.
MAKING OF MOSAIC PROJECTS
Student’s Projects under the teacher’s supervision.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. States meaning of mosaics.
Student’s Activities – Listen attentively and ask questions.
3. Displays materials/tools for mosaic making.
Student’s Activities – Examines materials/tools used in mosaic making.
4. Mention uses of mosaics.
Student’s Activities – Discuss uses of mosaics.
5. Demonstrates how to make a mosaic project, e.g necklace.
Student’s Activities – Make and display mosaic projects.
6. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. state the meaning of mosaics
2. name 6 materials/tools used in making mosaics.
3. mention 3 uses of mosaic.
4. make a named mosaic article e.g wall paper, wall hanging, etc.