3. Ways of promoting Unity in Cultural Diversity in our Community
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. Explain the word: culture, diversity and unity;
2. Explain in simple terms what unity in cultural diversity means;
3. Give examples of different ways of promoting unity in cultural diversity in our community.
The pupils can define culture.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of relevant pictures and charts.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Basic Social Studies for Primary Schools 4 with Security Education by E E Ezewu, J A Olawepo, C C Anadi, J A Adeyanju.
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF CULTURE
Culture is a complete way of life of a group of people living in a community.
MEANING OF DIVERSITY
Diversity means individuals or groups differences.
MEANING CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Cultural Diversity means a range of different people (Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo) in different societies (in different part of Nigeria) with different origins, religions and traditions all living and interacting together.
MEANING OF UNITY
Unity means to oneness. That’s, living together in one accord.
UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Unity in Cultural Diversity refers to oneness in spite of differences.
LESSON 2 – WAYS OF PROMOTING UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY IN OUR COMMUNITY
1. Making friends with mates who are not from our ethnic group.
2. Eating foods from other people’s culture.
3. Wearing dresses from other cultures.
4. Learning to speak languages of other ethnic groups been truthful in you interaction with people, etc.
5. Respect for other people’s culture.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the concepts; Unity, Culture and diversity using relevant pictures and charts.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the guided discussion on the meaning of the three concepts and the relationship among them.
3. Organizes pupils to dramatize the concepts.
Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize in small groups.
4. Leads the pupils to reflect on the meaning of unity in diversity and guides them to bring out different ways by which unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the reflective thinking exercise and come up with different ways by which unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community.
5. Summary of the key points on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the people write.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Welcome! We believe teachers inspire our future. CRN (ClassRoomNotes) is a website FOR TEACHERS BY TEACHERS, and we aim to continuously inform and encourage teaching! All materials are subject to TERMLY review. Eko Quizzes Now available at ekoquiz.com.