THEME – AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Agriculture Plan Lesson Notes Primary 5 (Basic 5)
TOPIC: MEANING OF AGRICULTURE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Agriculture
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives – define agriculture.
Some of the pupils know how some crops are grown and animals are reared.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of pictorial display of people planting crop, rearing animals, processing agricultural products, selling agricultural products.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Agriculture is one of the oldest and most important occupations of mankind.
The practice of agriculture involves production of crops and animals.
After the production, the crops and animals are further processing for commercial purposes.
MEANING OF AGRICULTURE
Agriculture can be define as the growing of crops, rearing of animals, processing and selling of agricultural products for the benefit of man (for man’s use).
There are four components of agriculture as stated in its meaning –
1. Growing or planting of crops.
2. Rearing of animals.
3. Processing of agricultural products.
4. Selling of agricultural products.
LESSON 2 – COMPONENTS OF AGRICULTURE
There are four components of agriculture as stated in its meaning. These are
1. GROWING IN THE or PLANTING OF CROPS
For examples – planting of rice, bean, yam, cocoa, banana, etc.
2. REARING OF ANIMALS
For examples – goat, sheep, horse, camel, etc.
3. PROCESSING OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS
For example – production of milk, beverages, bread, fruit juice, etc.
4. SELLING OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS
For example – buying agricultural product from the farm or manufacturer and sell them to the final consumer.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Presents or display agricultural products for the pupils to –
- Identify different agricultural products.
- Engages the pupils to discuss how crops and animals are produced.
- Asks pupils the content and used for the production of sardines, bournvita, milo, etc.
- Explains the meaning of Agriculture.
3. Guides the pupils to mention activities that can build up the definition in a broad sense.
Pupil’s Activities – Pupils suggest definition of agriculture.
4. Summarizes the lessons on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the lessons as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Meaning of Agriculture – Components of Agriculture Primary 6 (Basic 6)
Ask pupils to –
1. define agriculture.
2. state the components of agriculture with appropriate examples.
WORK BOOKS (ASSESSMENT)
Attempt all the questions.
1. Agriculture is one of the ________ and ________ important occupations of mankind.
A. Newest and more
B. Oldest and most
C. Common and most
2. ________ is the practice involves production of crops and animals.
A. Agro economic
B. Agro power
3. Production of crops and animals for ________.
A. For man’s uses
B. For state use
C. For government use
4. ________ is the material for producing sardines.
Give 3 examples of crops.
Give 3 examples of animals.
Complete the sentences.
________ is one of the oldest and most important ________ of mankind.
The practice of agriculture involves production of ________ and ________. After the production, the crops and animals are further ________ for commercial ________.