BST – COMPUTER STUDIES
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Computer Anti Virus – Meaning of Computer Virus | Types of Computer Anti – Virus | Causes of Computer Anti – Virus Primary 4/Basic 4 Term 2 Week 6 Computer Studies
TOPIC – CODING
2. Meaning of Coding
3. Why Should We Learn Coding?
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of coding.
2. give reasons for learning coding.
The pupils can define a computer as a device designed to work with information or data.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Functional computer systems and other devices.
2. A programmer
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
A computer is a device designed to work with information or data.
Information or date can be words, numbers, pictures, movies, or sounds.
It is a write instructions given to computer that makes it accept, process and give out information.
These instructions is known as coding.
MEANING OF CODING
Coding is a set of instructions given to a computer to perform a specific task.
Coding makes us to communicate with computers, command a computer what actions to take.
Coding makes it possible for us to create –
1. Computer software
2. Mobile applications such as games, music, video, facebook, etc.
3. Website such as classbasic.com, etc.
4. A lot of businesses online such as online job, banking, trading, etc.
WHY YOU SHOULD LEARN CODING?
The reasons why you should learn coding is because coding –
1. helps you learn how to solve problems.
2. makes you to be more creative.
3. makes you digital literacy.
4. give you more opportunities.
5. teaches you how to think.
6. makes you to create your own opportunities.
7. makes your career in high demand.
8. gives a competitive advantage
9. improves persistence, collaboration and communication.
LESSON 2 – LEARNING CODING
Teacher teaches pupils how to code if he/her has the skill or invite a professional among the colleagues, friends and colleagues to teach the basic of coding.
This is section is optional if the skills required to teach coding is not available.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps – he/she,
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or experience.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson review.
2. Teacher asks pupils, what is a computer?
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of computer as a device that accept, process and give out information.
3. Teacher uses pupil’s responses to the introduction the lesson – coding as the reasons why computers are able to accept information, process them and represent in words, numbers, pictures, movies, or sounds.
Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of coding.
4. Teacher explains the meaning of coding.
Pupil’s Activities – Define coding as a set of instructions given to a computer to perform a specific task.
5. Teacher leads a discussion on why it is important to learn coding with appropriate examples such as mobile games, facebook app, etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the importance of learning coding to their community with examples in banking, social media, local and international trading, forex, transportation, government, etc.
6. Teacher teaches pupils the basic skills of coding if he/she knows how to code or invite a professional among the colleagues, friends and colleagues to teach the basic of coding.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the coding lesson to able to know how to code.
7. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson summary and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Uses and Benefit of Coding Primary 4 (Basic 4) Term Week 10 Information Technology (Computer Studies)
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of coding.
2. state 5 reasons for learning coding.
3. Analyze the importance of learning coding in teaching, banking, etc.