Last Updated on August 3, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – THIRD TERM EXAMINATION
TOPIC – INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Computer System
3. Uses of Computer System
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the meaning of computer;
2. list uses of computer.
The pupils are required to already have learned…
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher Activities – Display functional computer system (if available). If not, display a chart showing computer for the pupils to identify and state its uses.
Pupil’s Activities – This is a computer. It is used for….
Teacher’s remark – You have done a great job. This is a computer. A Computer is an electronic device that allow people to perform different task such as typing letter, graphic design, computing, playing game, send and receiving mails, communication, online shopping and banking and so on.
Discuss the meaning of computer. Note the meaning on the board.
MEANING OF COMPUTER
A computer as an electronic machine that accepts data as input, processes the data and gives out information as output.
HAND ON ACTIVITIES
Allow the pupils to have fun by playing games, listen to music or watching movies if available.
Find out the uses of computer system.
LESSON 2 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Ask the pupils, what is a computer?
Pupil’s Activities – A computer is…..
Teacher’s remark – Give a cheer for defining a computer. Comment and display chart showing pupils learning with computer and other uses for them to identify and state. Summary the uses of computer on the board.
USES OF COMPUTER
Computers are used by different people in an organizations for different purposes:
- it is used for learning, teaching and research.
- It is used for planning and budgeting.
- It used for recording, running test and taking care of patients.
- It is used for record keeping, analysing and interpreting information.
5. Entertainment and recreation
- It is for playing music, watching movie, also for playing games.
- It is used for tactic and defending a territory.
7. Buying and selling
- It is for shopping and selling items online.
- It is used for drawing and painting.
9. Recording information
- It is used for reporting an event such as wedding ceremony, birthday party, graduation ceremony, etc.
- It is used for control traffic and give signal on the condition of the road.
11. Weather stations
- It is used for recording and reporting the present conditions the atmosphere.
- It is used in broadcasting sport’s activities.
It is used for design, production, marketing and advertisement.
Find out the advantages of using computer.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides in discussing the meaning of Computer;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussing meaning of computer.
3. List uses and areas where computer are used on daily basis;
Pupil’s Activities – state the uses of computer and areas where it is used.
4. Guides pupils to use the computer to play games, type text, watch educational films, etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Text, draw, and play games using computer.
5. Summarize the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. State the meaning of Computer.
2. List 5 uses of computer.
3. Mention 5 different organizations that used computer.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ___________ as an electronic machine that accepts data as input, processes the data and gives out information as output.
2. Computer can used for many purposes.
3. Computer can used for teaching and learning.
C. Not possible
4. Computer cannot be used for sport’s broadcast.
C. It is possible
5. Data is the same as ___________.