CIVIC EDUCATION RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
WEEK 3 PRIMARY 3
THEME – NATIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS
PREVIOUS LESSON – National Symbols II – Description of National Flag (Primary 3)
TOPIC – NATIONAL SYMBOLS LEARNING AREA
1. Meaning of National Symbols
2. Coat of Arms
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify national symbols.
2. describe coat of arms.
National anthem, pledge, currencies, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pictures of National Symbols and others
3. Video clips
4. Tours to see important national symbols
5. Tours to traditional and religious institutions.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON INTRODUCTION
Our National Symbols are things that represent our great Nation – Nigeria. These symbols represent something important in our country.
Our National symbols are our National Identity through which we can easily identify as Nigerian and matters that has to do with Nigeria.
NIGERIA COAT OF ARMS
Coat of Arms stands for absolute power and authority.
BLACK SHIELD stands for the good soil of our Nation.
TWO HORSES stand for our dignity and pride.
The mark “
Y” stands for the two rivers in our country – River Niger (major) and River Benue (minor).
EAGLE stands for the strength of our country.
FLOWERS stand for the beauty our country.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to draw and describe coat of arms.
Pupil’s Activities – Draw and describe coat of arms.
4. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Draw and color coat of arms.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of national symbols.
2. draw and describe coat of arms