THEME – GROOMING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Dangers of Neglecting the Hair | Ways of Caring for the Hair Primary 1 (Basic 1) – Home Economics
TOPIC – EAR AND NOSE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Identification of Ear and Nose
3. Functions of the Ear and Nose
4. Materials Needed for Cleaning
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. show their ear and nose.
2. mention the functions of the ear and nose.
3. mention the materials for cleaning the ear and nose.
The pupils can identify their ears and nose and state their functions.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of materials for cleaning the ear and nose e.g. handkerchief, face towel and cotton ball.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display a chart showing ears nose for the pupils to identify and touch their ears and nose.
Pupil’s Activities – This is my ears and my nose.
Teacher’s remark – This is my ears and nose too. Ask the pupils, what are the uses of ears and nose? Write the functions of the nose and ears.
FUNCTIONS OF THE EARS AND NOSE
The ears are one of sense of organs used for hearing.
The nose is one of the sense of organs used for –
2. Breathing in and out.
LESSON 2 – CLEANING OF THE EARS AND THE NOSE
Teacher’s Activities – Display sample of materials used for cleaning the ears for the pupils to identify.
Pupil’s Activities – This a cotton ball and handkerchief.
Teacher’s remark – Correct, cotton ball and handkerchief are materials that can be used for cleaning the ears and nose. State the materials used for cleaning the ears and the nose on the board.
MATERIALS FOR THE CLEANING OF THE EARS AND THE NOSE
THE EARS – We use cotton ball to clean our ears.
THE NOSE – We use handkerchief to clean our nostrils.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discusses the proper way of cleaning the ears and the nose.
Find out the danger of a dirty ears and nose.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays materials for cleaning the ears and nose.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify materials for cleaning the ears and nose.
3. Discusses the dangers of sharing these personal items.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
4. Discusses the proper way of cleaning the ears and the nose.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice cleaning the ears and the nostrils.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. point their ears and noses.
2. mention two functions each of the ears and the nose.
3. mention one material for cleaning the nose.
ATTEMPT ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. We breathe in with __________.
2. Breathe out __________.
3. The ears are used for __________.
4. The nose is used for __________.
5. __________ sense of organ used for hearing.
6. __________ sense of organ used for smelling.
7. __________ sense of organ used for hearing.
8. __________ and __________ are sense of organs.
A. Hands and legs
B. Teeth and lips
C. Nose and ears
Mention 2 material for cleaning the ears and the nose.