Oral and Written Composition Primary 3 (Basic 3) Week 10 English Studies
PRIMARY 3 (BASIC 3)
THEME – LISTENING, SPEAKING AND WRITING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – ORAL AND WRITTEN COMPOSITION
2. Oral Composition
3. Written Composition
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. listen carefully to a story.
2. answer questions on the main points in the story in their own words.
3. repeat the story in their own words, and
4. tell similar stories.
The pupils can tell story from story books or pictures.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course book or supplementary readers.
2. Relevant pictures or real objects.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
1. A story that will interest the pupils but built on any topic such as Road Safety, National Values, Disaster Risk Reduction, Drug Abuse, HIV/AIDS etc.
2. Provide stories that will encourage them to tell their own stories in simple english, e.g. the house that Jack built.
3. Prepare them for future life.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups or pair depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher tells the story slowly, stressing important points with the correct intonation.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils listen attentively to the teacher telling or reading the story and repeat the story.
4. Teacher asks questions.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils answer questions on the story.
5. Teacher gives pupils the opportunity to tell their own stories.
Pupil’s Activities –
6. Teacher guides and supervises pupils’ activities.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils tell similar stories in groups, about children’s club or society they know, orally and in writing.
7. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board with appropriate evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. answer questions on the main points in the story.
2. relate story in their own words, and
3. participate in telling similar stories.