ENGLISH STUDIES – GRAMMAR
TOPIC: FORMATION OF ADVERBS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Form adverbs from adjectives by adding ‘ly’ or ‘lly’.
2. Identify adverb words that do not require – ly’ or ‘lly’.
3. Use these words in sentences of their own.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course book
2. Flash card
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Adverbs tell us about verbs, adjectives or other adverbs. Adverbs can be formed from adjectives by adding ‘ly’ to the adjectives.
FORMING ADVERBS FROM ADJECTIVES
1. Active actively
2. Glad gladly
3. Slow slowly
USING ADJECTIVES AND ADVERBS IN SENTENCES
1. The boy was glad to do the work.
2. The boy did the work gladly.
There are words that are both adjectives and adverbs – next, very, first, etc.
1. Who comes next?
2. Next term begins on the 1st of April.
3. He gave me the very thing I asked for.
4. Do the work very well.
Ref – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 6
Page 109 C 1 – 4
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Insists on correct pronunciation/spelling.
Pupil’s Activities – Pronounce and learn to spell the words under teacher’s guidance.
3. Organizes various competitions between groups and individuals to stimulate interest in the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the activities by the teacher.
4. Guides the pupils to make sentences with the new construction.
5. Make sentences with the new construction as directed by the teacher.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
1. Form adverbs correctly.
2. Make correct sentences with them.