COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – COMPUTER SOFTWARE
PREVIOUS LESSON – MEANING AND TYPES OF OPERATING SYSTEMS (PRIMARY 4)
TOPIC: UTILITIES SOFTWARE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- state the meaning of utility software.
- mention 2 examples of utility software.
The pupils are required to already have learned about the parts of the computer system which we can see and touch – operating system.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of a computer system with all the necessary software installed.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF UTILITY SOFTWARE
Utility software manages, maintains and controls computer resources. Utility helps to prevent or solve computer problems.
Utility software helps to analyze, configure and maintain a computer.
Examples of Utility Software
- Antivirus software
- Backup software
- Disk tools
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides pupils to identify different types of utility software on computer system;
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify different types of utility software on computer system.
- Guides pupils to install and run antivirus on computer system.
- Pupil’s Activities – Repeat each activity demonstrated by the teacher.
- Writes notes on the chalkboard for pupils to copy.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – application software.
1. state the meaning of utility software.
2. state three different types of utility software.
3. perform basic installation.