Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – NATIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS AND IDENTITY
PREVIOUS LESSON – VALUES OF NATIONALISM AND PATRIOTISM (PRIMARY 6)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. explain the meaning of citizen.
2. explain how to become a citizen.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Pictures, maps newspapers cutting
- Passports and visas
- Foreign currency
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Citizen is someone who has a legal rights and privileges in a particular country, e.g. Nigeria.
A citizen of a country has legal rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities in his/her country whether he/she is living or not.
HOW TO BECOME A CITIZEN OF A COUNTRY
The following are ways to gain citizenship in Nigeria:
- Citizen by birth – Every person born in Nigeria or every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.
- Citizen by registration – He is a person of good character; two people to testify to that which one should a Religious minister.
- Citizen by naturalization – Citizen by naturalization must fulfillment the following conditions: person is of full age, resided in Nigeria for at least 15 years, is of good character, plans to remain in Nigeria.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils in discussing the meaning of citizen.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the meaning of citizen.
3. Lists and explain how to become a citizen of a country – Nigeria.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain how to become Nigerian citizen.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – nationalization.
- explain the meaning of citizen.
- explain how to become a citizen.