PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – MENTAL AND SOCIAL ISSUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – FIRST AID – HANDLING OF EMERGENCY CONDITIONS (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: MEANING OF UNDERSTANDING AND ABILITIES OF ONE’S SELF
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. State the meaning of self understanding and abilities of one’s self.
2. Enumerate things to do in order to have peace at home, in school and in other places.
3. State how to handle other people’s problems.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pictures of pupils at play
2. Film shows
3. Video clips
4. Flip chart
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Oneself is the totality of a person. It is the ability, strength and weakness of a person. It is a full knowledge and understanding of a person about him/herself. People often said, ‘I know my self, I can’t tolerate nonsense, I can do, I cannot do, etc’.
This is the ability of a person to discover his/her strengths and weaknesses. It is also the ability to discover and develop his/herself according his/her strengths and weaknesses.
IDENTIFICATION OF QUALITIES AND ABILITIES OF ONESELF
1. Every person has the ability to live a normal life.
2. Everyone possesses the potential to be successful in life.
3. Every person is capable of knowing the good and the bad.
4. Nobody is completely useless. So, everybody has the potential to do well in one area of life or the other.
5. Everybody has qualities which, if developed early enough, will make a serious impact in this world.
6. Everyone has the capacity to lead in one way or the other.
7. It is the right of everyone to develop his/her knowledge through getting a good education.
GETTING ALONG WITH OTHER
3. Live in peace
4. Love another
5. Respect other people’s views
7. Help and support one another
8. Think positively
9. Think before you act
10. Be friendly
11. Share with one another
1. Obedience to the school authorities
2. Love another
3. Tolerate one another
4. Cooperate with teacher and peers
5. Pay attention
6. Take part in school’s activities and programme
7. Respect people views and beliefs
8. Obey all the school’s rules and regulations.
In other places
1. Don’t be selfish
2. Show love to another
3. Be kind and polite
4. Be friendly
5. Be orderly
6. Think before you act
7. Speak politely
8. Be a peace maker
9. Share with one another
10. Respect the culture and norms of the place you found yourself
IDENTIFICATION OF PEOPLE’S PROBLEMS
WAYS OF COPING WITH PEOPLE’S PROBLEMS
1. Show to one another
2. Understand people’s problems
4. Live by example
5. Avoid keeping bad friends
6. Be very prayerful
7. Be patient and calm always
8. Be kind and helpful to people
10. Be friendly with people.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains to the pupils meaning of one self.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and contribute to the explanation of one – self.
3. Guides the pupils to know the qualities and abilities of one – self.
Pupil’s Activities – List the qualities and abilities of an individual.
4. Explains to the pupils how to live peacefully with people.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and contribute on how to have peace at home, in school and other places.
5. Leads pupils on how to identify people’s problems and be able to cope with the problems.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussion.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Describe self understanding.
2. List 5 qualities of one self.
3. List 3 things to do to have peace with others.
4. List 2 ways of coping with other people’s problems.
5. List 3 ways by which you can interact with people.