RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – INTER AND INTRA ETHNIC MARRIAGES (Primary 6 (Basic 6)
TOPIC – CHARACTERISTICS OF HEALTHY BOY-GIRL RELATIONSHIP
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Premarital Relationships
3. Healthy and Unhealthy Relationships
4. Dangers of Premarital Relationships
5. The Concepts of Bachelor, Spinsters and Single
6. Sexual Behaviour that promote STD
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the concept of bachelor and spinster;
2. differentiate between bachelor and spinster;
3. identify what makes good and healthy boy-girl relationship;
4. identify the dangers of not practicing healthy boy-girl relationship;
5. identify the sexual behaviors that promote STD.
The pupils can different between a single man and married man
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Relevant Pictures
2. Newspaper and Magazines
3. Product of the futures wheels
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PREMARITAL SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP
Premarital sex is sexual activity practiced by people before they are married.
CONCEPT OF BACHELOR, SPINSTER AND SINGLE
Bachelor is an unmarried man.
Spinster is an unmarried woman.
Single is someone, male or female, who is just simply not married.
HEALTHY BOY-GIRL RELATIONSHIP
Healthy boy-girl relationship is the kind of relationship that will not put boy and girl in health or social problems now or later.
CHARACTERISTICS OF HEALTHY BOY-GIRL RELATIONSHIP
1. Say no to sex before marriage.
2. Say no to negative peer pressure.
3. As boys don’t be too pushy.
4. As girls always keep your clothes on and have the fear of God, etc.
CONCEPT OF STDs/STIs EDUCATION
- STDs mean sexually transmitted Diseases.
- STIs mean Sexually Transmitted Infections.
These diseases are passed from one person to another through sexual contact.
3. HIV/AIDS, etc.
HIV – Human Immunodeficiency Virus causes AIDS Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndromes and interferes with the body’s ability to fight infections.
HOW ITS SPREAD
1. Unclean sharp objects like needles, blades, clippers, scissors, etc.
2. Unscreened blood.
3. By mother to baby by pregnancy, labor, or nursing.
4. Unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
THE DANGERS OF UNHEALTHY BOY-GIRL RELATIONSHIP
Involvement in risky sexual behaviours that can promote STDS/AIDS
1. Having multiple sex partners.
2. Sudden break in the boy or girl’s education.
3. Health risk.
4. Unwanted pregnancy, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the previous lesson or pupil’s previous knowledge.
2. Tells pupils a story on heathy and unhealthy relationships.
3. Asks pupils to state what story teaches us.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s story and highlight the lesson from it.
4. Uses the story to introduce the lesson.
5. Explains the meaning of healthy boy-girl relationship.
6. Asks pupils to give examples of boy-girl relationship which they know and expands on the pupils’ responses.
Pupil’s Activities – Give examples of boy-girl relationship which they know.
7. Uses futures wheels to discuss the dangers of practicing unhealthy boy-girl relationship.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the building and expansion of the futures wheels.
8. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Next Lesson – Some Culture are Affecting Our Values and Cultures
Ask pupil to:
Explain the meaning of
1. Bachelor ___________________________________________________
2. Spinster ___________________________________________________
3. state the different between bachelor and spinster.
4. State what a healthy boy-girl relationship is.
5. List examples of healthy boy-girl relationship.
List 3 dangers of practicing unhealthy boy-girl relationship.
State 2 sexual behaviors that promote STD.