Reading Comprehension and Teaching New Words Plan Lesson Note for Upper Primary – English Studies
FIRST SECOND THIRD TERM
WEEK 1 2 3…..
PRIMARY 4 5 6
TOPIC: AS STATE IN Recommended Reading Passages for Primary 1 – Primary 6
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify new and difficult words.
2. read the passage.
2. skim for the main points in passage.
3. scan for the specific information.
4. answer the questions in complete sentences.
The pupils can read and write.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course book
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
1. New Words and their meaning
2. Reading Comprehension – A reading passage selected from the course book based on regard and concern for interest of others.
READING TO FIND THE MAIN POINTS
Note – For reading focus, let pupils read the passage first.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions.
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher make list of new words or difficult words on the board.
4. Teacher guides pupils as groups or pairs for find the meaning of each word using dictionary.
Pupil’s Activities – Find the meaning of the new words.
5. Teacher uses the new and pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities :Pay attention to the lesson to the lesson introduction.
6. Teacher allows groups or pairs reading before independently reading.
7. Teacher reads and discussion the content of the passage.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the discussion.
8. Teacher highlights the main points.
Pupil’s Activities – Read the passage to skim for the main points.
9. Teacher distinguishes the theme and subject matter of the passage.
10. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board with using appropriate lesson evaluation and guides pupils to answer in a complete sentence.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding to questions in complete sentences and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. read the passage correctly;
2. skim for the main points;
3. state the specific information in the passage.
4. answers questions in complete sentences.