Roles Played by Families in Selecting Partners | Consequences of Some Unhealthy Marriage Practices | Ways of Preventing Unhealthy Marriage Practices Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Social Studies
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Marriage Custom and Practices | Meaning of Marriage | Steps in Selecting Marriage Partners | Values Relevant to the Selection of Partners Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Social Studies
TOPIC – ROLES PLAYED BY FAMILY IN SELECTING PARTNERS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Roles Played by Families and Others in the Selection of Marriage Partners
3. Consequences of Some Unhealthy Marriage Practices
4. Ways of Preventing Unhealthy Marriage Practices
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify the roles played by families and others in the selection of marriage partners.
2. identify the consequences of some unhealthy marriage practices.
2. suggest ways of preventing unhealthy marriage practices.
The pupils can state some of the processes of selecting marriage partner.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1..Charts showing different marriage ceremony.
2. Lists of bride prizes.
3. Sample of registry certificate.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Marriage is the union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The union between a man and woman is legal and lawful union. It is marriage that make husband and wife to become a family.
A custom (or tradition) is a common way of doing things. Marriage Custom is a traditional way of becoming husband and wife.
ROLE PLAYED BY FAMILIES AND OTHERS IN THE SELECTION OF MARRIAGE PARTNERS
1. They give advice to both partners.
2. Both parents find important information about their child’s partner such as characters, backgrounds and family.
3. They plan the marriage ceremony.
LESSON 2 – THE CONSEQUENCES OF SOME UNHEALTHY MARRIAGE PRACTICES
There are many unhealthy marriage practices in our society. Unhealthy marriage practices are –
1. Early marriage
2. Same – sex marriage
3. Trial marriage
4. Forced marriage
5. Widow (or wife) inheritance
WAYS OF PREVENTING UNHEALTHY MARRIAGE PRACTICES
1. Early marriage should be discouraged.
2. Same – sex marriage is immoral. It is unlawful and most religions preach against it.
3. Trial, forced and widow inheritance should be stopped.
4. Marriage must based on love and agreement between partners.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Asks pupils if they have witness a marriage ceremony. If yes, lets them discuss.
Pupil’s Activities – Share their experiences on marriage ceremony they have witnessed.
3. Discusses the roles of family members in selecting partners.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussing the role of family members in selecting partners.
4. Explains the unhealthy marriage practices in our community.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to teacher’s explanations.
5. Discusses way of preventing unhealthy marriage.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussions.
6. Summarizes each of the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Meaning of Responsible Parenthood | Characteristics (Duties) of Responsible Parenthood | Problems of Irresponsible Parenthood | Value that Foster Responsible Parenthood Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Social Studies
Ask pupils to:
1. Define marriage.
2. Mention 3 roles played by families in selecting marriage partner.
3. List 4 unhealthy marriage practices.
4. State 2 way of preventing unhealthy marriage practices.