Second Term Examination Physics SS 1 – Exam Questions
CRN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
SECOND TERM EXAMINATION
SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL – SS 1
SECTION A – OBJECTIVES
Answer all questions.
1. The weight of a body is measured with ________________.
(a) Spring balance
(b) Beam balance
(d) Chemical balance
2. Which instrument is best for measuring small quantity of liquid?
3. Which of the following is not correct?
The SI unit of:
(a) Acceleration is ms-²
(b) Momentum is Ns
(c) Work is joule
(d) Energy is watt
4. What is the dimension of force?
5. The heat from the sun reaches the earth mainly by the process of:
6. In which of the following is the molecules of water moving fastest?
(c) Ice – Steam mixture
7. Calculate the Linear Expansivity of brass of length 120m, that assumes a new length of 120.05m, when heated through a temperature of 100ºC.
(a) 0.42 x 10-5K-1
(b) 0.6 x 10-4K-1
(c) 0.52 x 10-5K-1
(d) 0.44 x 10-4K-1
8. Using the Linear Expansivity calculated from question 3 above, determine the increase in volume of a brass container, with original volume (V1) equals 100m3, if heated through a temperature of 50oC.
9. Which of the following surfaces is the best absorber of radiant energy?
10. All of these except one are applications of expansion in metals.
(a) Temperature control in laundry iron.
(b) Bimetallic strip Thermometer.
(c) Compensated balance wheel of a watch.
(d) Sagging of telegraph wires.
11. Circulation of fresh air in a room is as a result of?
12. In Order to charge an electroscope by induction, the following processes can be followed:
I. Bring charge near the electroscope.
II. Touch the cap.
III. Remove the charge.
IV. Remove the finger.
(a) I – II – III – IV
(b) I – II – IV – III
(c) II – I – IV – III
(d) I – IV – II – III
13. Which of the following can be used to compare the magnitude of the charges on two given bodies?
(a) Glass Rod
(b) Gold – Leaf Electroscope
14. Which of the following rods acquire positive charge?
I. Polythene rubbed with silk.
II. Cellulose Acetate Rubbed with silk.
III. Glass rod rubbed with silk.
(a) II only
(b) I only
(c) I, II and III
(d) II and III only
15. The micrometer screw gauge is used for measuring _______________.
SECTION B — THEORY
Answer any 2 questions in this section .
a. Differentiate between Heat and Temperature
b. List 5 effects of heat on matter .
c. List 5 kinetic molecular theory you know .
d. What is Thermal expansion of solid?
e. List 3 effects of expansion on everday’s life .
f. List 2 applications of expansion and explain any 1 .
a. Define Linear Expansivity of solids .
b. The linear expansivity of a material is 15 x 10-5k — 1. If the initial area is 25m2,
i. The increase in area if it is heated through 40ºC .
ii. Cubic expansivity .
ci. State three (3) modes of transfer of heat .
ii. Describe each and explain their application in everyday life
a. Explain the term ‘Anomalous Expansion of water’
b. What materials are regarded as poor conductors? List 5 .
c. What are some applications of poor conductors?
a. Explain comprehensively ‘The gold-leaf Electroscope’
b. Explain the Process by which a lightning conductor works.