RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY AS A BASIC UNIT OF SOCIETY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Why we eat together as a Family (Primary 2)
TOPIC – IMPORTANCE TO OUR GROWTH
1. Introductory Activities
2. Importance to Foods to our Growth
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. mention the nutrients in the foods we take.
2. mention the importance of food to our growth.
Types of food
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pupils’ textbook
2. Pictures showing groups of food and their nutrients.
3. Real objects of food from their locality.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Review of the previous lesson – The Nutrients in the Foods we eat (Primary 2) and discuss their importance to growth.
THE NUTRIENTS IN THE FOODS WE EAT
The Nutrients in the food we take are:
4. Fats and Oil
IMPORTANCE TO FOOD TO OUR GROWTH
1. It builds the body.
2. It is growth and repair of body tissue.
3. It gives energy to the body.
4. It protects the body against diseases.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads the pupils through guided questions to say the nutrients we get from different foods e.g.
- Vitamins (Fruits/Vegetables)
- Fats and oil (Butter/Cheese), etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Pupils draw different types of food and say the importance to growth.
3. Guides the pupils to identify the functions of the nutrients in food we take:
- Carbohydrate supplies energy to the body.
- Protein to build our body.
- Vitamin to keep our body healthy.
- Fat and oil to provide heat and energy.
Pupil’s Activities – Respond to the teachers questions on the topic.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Revision and Examination
mention the importance of food to our growth.