THEME: CLOTHING AND TEXTILES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Types of Sewing Machine and Functions of Each Parts of Sewing Machine (Primary 6)
TOPIC: THE SEWING MACHINE
Uses and Cares for the Sewing Machines
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. Explain how to use and care for the sewing machine.
2. State two ways of caring for sewing machine.
3. Demonstrate the uses of a sewing machine.
4. Oil and sun the machine to remove fluffs.
5. Demonstrate how to pack and store a sewing machine.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
a sewing machine
sewing machine engine oil
different pack for sewing machine tools.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Home Economics Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
A sewing machine is a machine used to stitch fabric and other materials together with thread.
Sewing machines can be exciting but also totally overwhelming when you don’t know how to use the machine!
In sewing, the first place to start is how to use a sewing machine!
HOW TO USE SEW SEWING MACHINE
1. Select a straight stitch and a medium stitch length.
A straight stitch is used to sew most seams.
2. Practice on some scrap material.
3. Line up the fabric under the needle.
4. Lower the presser foot onto the fabric.
5. Hold the loose ends of both threads.
6. Press the foot pedal.
7. Find the reverse button or lever and try it.
8. Use the hand wheel to move the needle to its highest position.
9. Cut the thread.
10. Practice sewing a seam.
11. Move to another part of the fabric.
12. Learn to sew a sharp corner.
13. Try a simple project.
For details, visit – wikihow.com
LESSON TWO – CARES FOR THE SEWING MACHINES
1. Always keep the sewing machine covered.
2. Change the needles when necessary.
3. Always use compressed air to remove the lint.
4. Always service the sewing machine as when due.
5. Oiling the sewing machine from time to time.
6. Call for experienced professional for repairing the sewing machine.
7. Clean each parts of the sewing machine at a time.
8. Wipe down the sewing machine after use.
REVISION AND WEEK 2 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Bring a sewing machine and diagram in a sewing machine;
3. Shows pupils sewing machine and identity its parts;
Pupil’s Activities – Examine the machine and identify the parts of labelled on the chart and as taught by the teacher.
4. Discusses to use the sewing machine;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
5. Write short notes for the pupils on the use and care of the sewing machine.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – The uses and care of sewing machine.
use and care for the sewing machine.