CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
THEME – PERFORMING ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Traditional Festival – Different Types of Traditional Festival in Nigeria (Primary 2)
TOPIC – TRADITIONAL FESTIVALS
1. Things Associated with Traditional Festivals
2. Important Values Derived from Traditional Festivals
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify things associated with festivals.
2. mention important values derived from the festivals.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
costumes worn during some festivals, pictures of some costumes, accessories used during the festivals or pictures of the accessories.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Traditional festivals are indigenous festivals.
It is made up of cultural and spiritual activities which the people have created and developed during the course of history. It is pass on from one generation to and generation.
THINGS THAT ASSOCIATED WITH TRADITIONAL FESTIVAL
4. Palm oil
6. Bitter cola
7. Palm wine
8. Animals like goats, chickens, dogs, etc.
9. Traditional music and dance
10. Traditional wears
IMPORTANCE OF TRADITIONAL FESTIVALS
1. Traditional festivals promote peace and unity in the society.
2. Traditional festivals promote cultural values.
3. It is easier to spread information other people cultural values.
4. Festivals teach the youths about their cultural values.
5. Traders make more money because of many people coming home for the festivals.
6. Many visitors come to know about our culture and people during festivals.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides and explains things associated with festivals.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify things associated with traditional festivals.
3. Discusses the values associated with traditional festivals.
Pupil’s Activities – Suggest some values in the festivals.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. identify 7 things associated with festivals.
2. list 3 important values derived from traditional festivals.