Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: GRAMMATICAL ACCURACY
PREVIOUS LESSON – SECOND TERM EXAMINATION ENGLISH STUDIES BASIC 5
TOPIC – Use of ‘So that’ to Express Purpose
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Use of ‘so that’ to express purpose orally and in writing.
2. Recognize the use of ‘so that’ when used by one another in conversations.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Course Book – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
- Prepared sentences strips illustrating the structure.
- Materials for substitution drill.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
All Relevant Material
Online Information – English Studies Page
Relevant link – Use of ‘So… That’ to Express Personal Opinion (Primary 5)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
We use So…. That is used to express result. So that is used to show purpose.
In using ‘so that’ to express purpose, it is hardly ever split, e.g.
He is punished for the offence so that he may not repeat it.
The girl woke up early so that she would not be late for school.
Leave the room so that I can lock the door.
I work hard so that I may pass the test.
The teacher stands in front of the class so that everybody in the class may see him/her.
I wear a sweater so that I may not catch cold.
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES – COMPLETE THE SENTENCES USING SO THAT
1. The man puts the drink in the fridge so that …..
2. The woman shuts her doors and windows at night so that ….
3. She locked him in so that ….
4. I go to Mosque so that ….
5. Mr. Alabi worked hard so that ….
6. She wants to earn lots of money so that ….
7. I put my glasses on so that ….
8. His mother gave him some story books so that ….
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Provides examples of sentences with so that.
Pupil’s Activities – Repeat the new structure with ‘so that’ to express purpose.
3. Lets pupils use this patterns so copiously that it becomes a habit for to use them correctly. The sentence type, ‘the teacher speaks clearly so everybody could hear him’ is also possible in a modern usage.
Pupil’s Activities – Make sentences like the given examples, individually, groups and as a class.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Assignment – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5 Page 72 Question 5.
1. Make sentences using ‘so that’.
2. Use the structure taught in conversations.