Uses of Building Materials JSS 1 (Basic 1) – Basic Technology
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
PREVIOUS LESSON – Types of Building | Common Building Materials JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Basic Technology
TOPIC – BUILDING AND BUILDING MATERIALS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Common Building Materials
3. Uses of Common Building Materials
4. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify various types of building and common building material.
2. mention uses of buildings.
The students can state uses of common building materials.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Building plans, cement, sand, gravel.
2. Documentary on various types of building, charts and posters etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Building is a structure with walls and a roof, such as a house, factory, school, church or mosque, shop, etc.
Common building materials are cement, sand, gravel, metal, plastic, wood, glass, leaves, ceramics, grass, etc.
Based on the assignment given in lesson, ask the pupils to state the uses common building materials. Write all responses on the board.
USES OF COMMON BUILDING MATERIALS
10. Grass, etc.
LESSON 2 REVISION OF TYPES AND USES OF COMMON BUILDING MATERIALS
LESSON 3 – WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. Define technical drawing.
2. State 5 drawing instruments and materials.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. explains types of building.
Student’s Activities – Identify various types of building.
3. lists building materials and their uses.
Student’s Activities – Identify various types of common building materials and their uses.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. list types of building.
2. list five common types of building materials.